Crater Lake National Park
Experience One of the 7 Wonders of Oregon
Enjoy 77 scenic miles from Ashland Springs Hotel along The Rogue Umpqua Scenic Byway – known as the “highway of waterfalls” to Crater Lake.
No place on earth combines a deep, pure lake, so blue in color; sheer surrounding cliffs, almost two thousand feet high; two picturesque islands; and a violent volcanic past. At 1,943 feet deep, Crater Lake is the seventh deepest lake in the world and the deepest in the United States. It lies inside a volcanic basin, created when Mount Mazama erupted over 7,000 years ago. It’s a place of immeasurable beauty, and an outstanding outdoor laboratory and classroom.
- Trolley Tour around the lake perimeter
- Bicycling – One of the most popular bicycle routes at Crater Lake is the 33-mile Rim Drive
- Fishing – Kokanee Salmon and Rainbow Trout are prevalent. No fishing license is required within park boundaries
- Hiking – 90 miles of hiking trails, with 33 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail pass through the park
- Crater Lake Wizard Island Tour – Volcano Boat Cruises:
- This half day trip is designed for the adventurous explorers. Departs twice per day from the north side of Crater Lake at Cleetwood Cove. Guests descend a 1.1-mile trail to access the boat dock, and embark on a 45-minute cruise to Wizard Island, where they are dropped off for 3-hours to explore the island and enjoy magnetic views of the lake. The 75-minute tour back takes guests counter-clockwise around the perimeter of the lake, with stops at some special points, including Phantom Ship. A Ranger from the National Park Service is onboard the boat and on the island to offer cultural and natural history of Crater Lake. Learn more.
- Cross country skiing tours
- 9 different skiing trails available
- Snowmobiling is available just outside the boundaries of the national park
Enjoy 77 scenic miles from Ashland, OR along
The Rogue Umpqua Scenic Byway
– stop at numerous waterfalls and breathtaking scenic points.
- Head southeast on E Main St toward S 1st St
- Turn left at the 1st cross street onto N 1st St
- Turn left onto C St/Lithia Way. Continue to follow Lithia Way
- Lithia Way turns slightly right and becomes OR-99 N/N Main St. Continue to follow OR-99 N
- Turn right onto S Valley View Rd
- Turn left to merge onto I-5 N toward Medford.
- Take exit 30 for OR-62 E toward OR-238 W/N Medford/Crater Lake
- Use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto OR-62 E/Crater Lake Hwy
- Continue straight onto OR-62 E
- Turn right to stay on OR-62 E